How do you feel about what you have just seen?
Thinking back to workshop one, does this come close to the kind of world you want to live in?
How do we contribute to keeping the world as it is today?
What if any role do you think you have in changing the wealth inequality? Flip chart ideas.
Why do you think we chose sweets to illustrate inequality?
Brainstorm and decide on how your group can take action and encourage people to take on the responsibility challenge.
1) Hold an art exhibition on what needs to change in our community, nation or world
2) Perform a flashmob about change
3) Create an art installation, graffiti wall, mosaic, community garden
4) Stage a play or create a video
5) Put up an information stand, ask people what they are responsible to change in our world, ask them to make a commitment pledge
Contact local media to cover the event.
Spread your message online!
Prepare, rehearse, motivate and participate!
"Poverty is not an accident. Like slavery and apartheid, it is man-made and can be removed by the actions of human beings."
- Nelson Mandela
Ask participants to visit the It's About Us website!
Game: Sweet Grab
1) Preparation: divide your class into groups that approximate global wealth division.
Group 1 = Mega Wealthy (2% or group gets 50% of sweets
Group 2 = Rich (8% of group gets 36% of sweets
Group 3 = Middle Income (40% of group gets 13% of sweets)
Group 4 = Poorest (50% of group gets 1% of sweets)
2) Assign profile cards: download and print profile cards for each person. Fold each card in half and write the name of the participant you have assigned to that profile on the front of the card.
3) Play: handout out a packet of sweets and a profile card to each participant. Ask the group to read their cards and find out which group they belong to. Tell the participants that the sweets represent their share of wealth in the world. Currently that wealth is shared equally, however as the profile cards suggest this is not how wealth is shared globally. To illustrate this you will be asked to redistribute your wealth based on the card you have been assigned.
Group 1 is to take all of the sweets from Group 4.
Group 2 is to keep their sweets and take all sweets bar one or two from Group 3.
Group 3 is to open their packets and try to share with each other and Group 4.
4) Now everyone can eat their sweets!